Effective of January 31st, 2016 Autodesk will discontinue selling new standalone or network licenses of most non-suite software products. Instead, new Desktop Subscription licenses for the software will be available as annual, multi-year, quarterly or monthly plans.
New perpetual licenses for Autodesk Design and Creation Suites will continue to be offered beyond January 31st, 2016. Any transition to a subscription-only based offering for Autodesk Design and Creation Suites will be discussed well in advance of the transition date.
These new changes to a subscription-based system will offer you, the customer a lower price, an even wider variety of tools to use and the option to pay-as-you-go. The move is intended to integrate the software even more with Autodesk’s cloud services, allowing users to access their products from multiple devices, at any time and any location.
You may be wondering: Does this affect existing software purchased under a perpetual license? The answer is no, if you already have a perpetual license or purchase a new perpetual license at any time through January 31st, 2016. You will still be able to retain your license, therefore you can continue to use it in accordance with your perpetual license agreement. Furthermore, if your software is covered by Maintenance Subscription, you will also continue to receive your Maintenance Subscription benefits.
There’s no need to worry about these changes as there’s still plenty of time to prepare for the change. There are several things Autodesk have put in place to make your life a little easier. These are:
- Providing the time needed to assess options and make plans by providing a full year of advance notice of changes to come
- Allowing Maintenance Subscribers to continue to renew their Maintenance Subscriptions and receive/access the benefits of their Maintenance Subscription
- Making Autodesk Account the one place to manage all of your products, subscriptions and services
- Providing the ability to lock in your subscription rate by introducing the option of a multi-year Desktop Subscription offering
- Continuing to offer Autodesk Design and Creation Suites as a perpetual license
Obviously this may feel like a lot of information to take in, but there’s no need to worry. If you have any questions please give us a call on 01403 784 139. Or if you would rather contact us by email send us a message at email@example.com. You can also find more information and an FAQ page on the official Autodesk website here: Autodesk Perpetual Licenses.