Case Study: Scan-to-BIM
Project: Dow Corning Works, Barry, South Wales (BIM)
Dow Silicones is a subsidiary of the Dow Chemical Company, a multinational company headquartered in the US. Producing over 7000 products, including various sealants, adhesives, rubbers, lubricants, silicon oils and solvents, the works at Barry in South Wales is one of three world-scale siloxane manufacturing facilities owned by the company globally.
The range of industries served by these products spans from electronics and automotive to construction, healthcare and others.
In 2018 the company announced a substantial investment programme to support growth in its target markets. In Barry, this meant adding a new installation to develop and establish the “most
effective technology” for compounding high consistency rubber and fluorosilicone rubber.
Part of this expansion programme required the extension of premises housing the rubber compounding unit on the Barry site.
- Receive and process the point cloud survey data for the site.
- Create a 3D model of the building structure, internal and external, to Level 3, i.e.
- the exposed primary and secondary steelwork frame and connections
- masonry walls, cladding walls
- openings in the roof and walls
- other details such as RWPs, eaves, gutters etc.
- the surrounding groundline against the building.
- Deliver a Revit 2017 *.rvt file back to the consultants responsible for the project.